Re: SCSI Cable (Some comments and questions)

From: Oliver Rauch (oliver.rauch@Wolfsburg.DE)
Date: Mon Feb 14 2000 - 14:01:10 PST

    mendes wrote:

    > Hello
    > I have just seen the discussion on the list about SCSI Cable. Although
    > I am not an expert I find the solution of having different cards from scanners
    > and disks a good solution. In my setup I had to move the HP Scanjet (Oliver, I
    > am not using my old Umax T-630, I gave up trying to upgrade the bios) to an
    > adaptec 2906 and my other devices to a TEKRAM 390F. Only in this way I've got
    > the scanner working ok. Before that the scanner messed up the whole scsi bus.
    > Please note that TEKRAM 390F doesn't have an external 50 pin so I had
    > to buy a 50M-50F and attach to the scsi cable in order to have a "fake" 50F
    > external connector. It worked, but as I said the scsi bus went crazy.
    > Question: How does this TERMINATION (passive or active???) works? Does
    > Scanjet need ones? I am clueless....

    Both ends of the scsi chain HAVE TO BE termiated.

    Passive termination is done with resistors, active termination is done with
    transistors/opamps.

    If there is only the scanner connected on the scsi bus you may try without termination,
    if you have a scsi disk connected you may loose your filesystem if you try without correct termination.

    Bye
    Oliver

    --
    Homepage:       http://www.wolfsburg.de/~rauch