New unstable SANE snapshot (20000123)

From: Petter Reinholdtsen (pere@hungry.com)
Date: Sun Jan 23 2000 - 07:25:54 PST

I've wrapped up a new snapshot with the current unstable development
version. It is available from

<URL:http://www.student.uit.no/~pere/linux/sane/sane-devel-20000123.tar.gz>

Current NEWS file:

  * New script 'sane-config' to help frontend developers.
  * Added Ricoh IS50 support.
  * Updated backends: Artec (v0.5), CANON (v991108), DC-25 (1.2), HP
    (v0.83), Microtek (0.11.0), Microtek2 (v0.8), UMAX (v1.0-build-14),
    Epson (v0.1.6), Sharp (v0.20).
  * Automatic document feeder support for scanimage.
  * New backend for Avision AV 630 CS.
  * New Linux SCSI Generic driver.
  * Upgraded to libtool 1.3.3
  * GIMP compatibility patch.

With this snapshot, we move into the test phase. I ask everyone to
test this snapshot as much as possible, and report back problems and
errors to the mailinglist and the maintainers. Test as many of the
backends as you can, and try to compile the code on as many different
compilers and platforms as possible.

I urge the backend authors or maintainers with a newer backend version
then the one in this snapshot please contact me and let me know if you
want write access to the CVS repository or if I should update the
backend in CVS for you. With the new warnings from GCC, many of the
backends need to be corrected to remove all warnings and to make sure
the code will compile on more strict compilers then gcc. I urge the
maintainers to test their backend to make sure all such problems are
fixed.

If there are other patches or suggested changes to SANE that is still
not in the CVS repository, reply to this message on the list, and we
will hopefully get them in before code freeze.

Schedule:

  2000-01-23 Start test phase *
  2000-02-13 Start code freeze
  2000-02-27 New release

(The previous schedule was one day off. I plan to release on sundays,
but was misreading the output of 'cal'. :-)

If anyone want another schedule, please let us know as soon as
possible. :-)

--
##>  Petter Reinholdtsen <##    | pere@td.org.uit.no
 O-  <SCRIPT Language="Javascript">window.close()</SCRIPT>