Re: open source OCR; anyone want it?

From: Rooster (rooster@seaforn.dircon.co.uk)
Date: Sun Jan 30 2000 - 11:00:16 PST

    On Tue, 11 Jan 2000, Eric Anderholm wrote:

    > Greetings:
    >
    > I have a functional machine print ocr engine I have built and am
    > wondering if it would be worth while to open source it and release it to
    >
    > the net. It is not a "single font" trained engine but can do multiple
    > fonts and proportional and is completely trained.
    >
    > Before I go to any trouble of packaging it up with a good auto
    > configure script I was wondering if any one is interested in it and more
    >
    > importantly if anyone wants to work on the back end of it. That is the
    > n-gram dictionary lookup.
    >
    > If your interested in it, and/or may be interested on working on the
    > back end please email eja@altavista.net.

            I am sure I am not alone in thinking there would be great interest
    in this project, I for one have been waiting a fair time for a decent OCR
    package to be available for Unicies at a reasonable cost. Yes there are a
    few commercial libraries/drivers available (for a price) but non have the
    flexibilty and adaptabilty that an OS OCR package would bring. Think of
    all the other potentially interesting projects that could sping up from
    it. Anything from fax to email, or more interestingly proper hand
    recognition for the up and coming embeded Mobile Linux/ linux handhelds.
            So yes.. If you are willing to release your work and would like
    others to build and improve on it I am all in favour of it. I for one
    would certainly take an interest in it.

    Rooster - A friend.

    "Anyone's friend in particular or just generally well disposed to people?"

                                                            HHGTTG.

    CUT - Campaign for Unmetered Telecomunications:
    Bring the best to all affordably. http://www.unmetered.org.uk