Re: Update: Linux USB and Scanners

From: Jonathan Buzzard (jonathan@buzzard.org.uk)
Date: Tue Jan 25 2000 - 12:43:45 PST

    dnelson@jump.net said:
    > I just wanted to update you all on the status of Linux USB since I get
    > (and answer) most of the USB scanner related questions that cross the
    > linux-usb list.

    I would add the following to this.

    On the linux-usb list there has been a post saying that the UMAX Astra 1220U
     has been made to work under Linux. At a guess the Astra 2200 being a dual
    SCSI/USB scanner probabbly works but someone would have to confirm this.
    For more information see

        http://electricrain.com/lists/archive/linux-usb/2000/01/msg00092.html

    On this list at the beginning of the month there was a post from the
    new maintainer of the Epson backend that the latest version had preliminary
    support for Epson USB scanners see

        http://www.mostang.com/mail-archive/sane-devel/2000-01/0034.html

    In addition I would add that it would appear that their is documentation
    on the chip that controls the HP 4200C for free download on the web.
    I suspect that this means that this scanner can be supported if someone
    writes a backend.

    JAB.

    --
    Jonathan A. Buzzard                 Email: jonathan@buzzard.org.uk
    Northumberland, United Kingdom.       Tel: +44(0)1661-832195