8-bit vs 12-bit

From: Rick Rosinski (rick@rickrosinski.com)
Date: Thu Jan 06 2000 - 19:49:17 PST

    What is the difference between 8-bit and 12-bit images?
    I notice that it takes twice as much space for a pnm file under 12-bit vs 8-bit.

    When I used Sane 1.00 under SuSE 6.1, I was able to scan (xscanimage) 12-bit
    images and view them in GIMP. But when I tried Sane 1.0.1 with Umax 1.0.1
    back-end (Umax Astra 1220s), I was only able to scan in 8-bit mode. 12-bit
    yielded purple text and green background. 8-bit looks good.

    Ultimately, I will be using xscanimage to scan photographs. I have many photos
    stored under 12-bit graphics, which were converted to JPGs, but now I cannot
    scan in 12-bit. I would rather scan in 12-bit just to make sure that the
    photos are the best they can be?

    What is the difference, and is there a way to get Sane 1.0.1 to do 12-bit like
    1.0 did?

    I am using Umax Astra 1220s on a Slackware 7.0 system.

    --
    Rick Rosinski
    http://www.rickrosinski.com