Re: open source OCR; anyone want it?

From: Mentore #cat# Siesto (s135989@studenti.ing.unipi.it)
Date: Wed Jan 12 2000 - 00:25:15 PST

    On Wed, 12 Jan 2000, Riku Turkia wrote:

    +>Greetings:
    +>
    +>I have a functional machine print ocr engine I have built and am
    +>wondering if it would be worth while to open source it and release it
     -snip-
    +I wonder if it's able to recognise non-English characters (umlauts
    +etc.).
    +
    +Riku

    That shouldn't be so hard to do... I'd really be glad to help with it, but
    I don't know anything about character recognizing.
    The project is really interesting, like S-OCR (another open source OCR):
    should this work, I'd be glad if we could add options like musical scores
    recognition and translation into MIDI files... Perhaps I could help in it
    due to my MIDI knowledge.

    Mentore Siesto
    Team OS/2 Italy