resolution of scanned images with microtek2 X6EL

From: Brandon Kolbe (chezteth@execpc.com)
Date: Mon Jan 10 2000 - 19:23:39 PST

            I was hoping someone could help me out a bit. I have a Microtek2 X6EL
    scanner that I bought a couple months ago. When I use it with the SANE
    drivers in Linux to scan an image, the image appears to remain at 72dpi
    even if I scan an image in at 300dpi (set on XSane). The image size
    does get bigger on the screen. I copied the image into my windows
    partition and used photoshop to print out the image ( I was doing some
    comparisons between the windows drivers and Linux drivers for both my
    printer and scanner). Photoshop says the printing resolution is 72dpi
    and ImageMagick says that the resolution is 72dpi.
            I have used xscanimage and xsane as standalone programs to scan and
    save the image in a particular format (ie jpeg). I have also used them
    as plugins to GIMP to scan the image then save them in a particular
    format. Either way will yield the same results. I have the feeling
    that this resolution issue is due to SANE and/or the microtek2 backend
    and how the image data is presented. I would really appreciate some
    insight to this. I am not really very knowledgable when it comes to
    this type of stuff, and would like some help understanding it. Maybe I
    am misunderstanding something. I really enjoy using Linux to do my
    daily activities and prefer not to boot into Win98 just to scan or print
    an image. I do realize that the microtek2 backend is still considered
    alpha. Please help me with any info possible. You may email me
    personally to avoid wasting bandwidth on this one if you so choose.

            TIA,
            Brandon Kolbe