Epson Backend - The Millenium Release

From: Karl Heinz Kremer (khk@khk.net)
Date: Sun Jan 09 2000 - 16:06:13 PST

    [ ... OK, I know that the next millenium will start in
    a little less than a year from now, but I'm wearing my
    marketing hat right now :=) ]

    The Epson backend is being developed again. I've taken
    over the maintenance of this software and just put in
    a new version into the CVS repository. The most part of
    this new release was done by Christian Bucher, he deserves
    the credit for keeping the development alive for the last
    year or so. Unfortunately the changes were never commited
    into the repository.

    Here is a short description of the changes relative to the
    Sane 1.0.1 release:

    - Support for ADF and TPU (document feeder and transparency unit)
    - Support for more function levels (A1, A2, B1 - B8, and rudimentary
      support for F5)
    - Intitial USB support (Don't use this without getting in touch
      with me first!!!)

    I only have a SCSI device, so I need testers for the USB support.
    If you happen to have Sane running and an Epson USB scanner (e.g.
    Perfection 636U or 1200U) please get in touch with me so that we
    can work something out. I've managed to get basic support for
    USB into the code, however the error handling and reliability is
    just not there yet.

    Karl Heinz

    --
    Karl Heinz Kremer                                      khk@khk.net