Re: hexadecimal C syntax for serial ports

Tim Carroll (tim@boomboom.com)
04 Dec 1999 18:25:34 -0500

> Looks like you have the Mac version of the QuickCam, which is
> indeed a serial device, of sorts. The qcam driver is for the PC
> version which is a parallel port device, and the driver directly
> flips bits on the parallel port, which is why it needs the port
> address. So, I'd say you're kind of out of luck from that
> perspective.

>> From what I remember, the Mac version used a special synchronous
> feature of the Mac serial port, whereby the Mac could clock data
> in/out of the port at some high rate, like 1Mbps or so, which is
> why the Mac version couldn't be used on a PC (and hence no
> x86-linux driver for the Mac version, that I ever heard of).

True, I have looked high and wide for other drivers and to no
avail. And I am not the only one looking...

Thanks Matto... this bad news is good news in that I can find
something else to do this weekend... unless I want to learn C, boost
my IQ a notch or two and reverse-engineer my own driver!

--
Tim