Re: Umax 1220S problem fixed

Douglas Gilbert (dgilbert@interlog.com)
Wed, 24 Nov 1999 22:04:47 -0500

Oliver Rauch wrote:

> "Cyril Y. Nickonorov" wrote:
>
> > Hello and thanks to all who answered me.
> >
> > I just found why my scanner refused to do it's job. The problem was buffer size
> > value in
> > /usr/include/scsi/sg.h file. I've put there incorrect value and it causes sane
> > print "out of memory" error in log file.
> >
> > Now everything works just ok. :)
> >

> ;-)
>
> Fine.

SG_BIG_BUFF strikes again! Hopefully sometime in the near
future people will be able to write:

echo 131072 > /proc/scsi/sg/def_reserved_size

and leave the !@#$%^& sg driver alone. Apart from
hinting that the sg driver reserve a buffer of that
size on open(), it will make the same number appear
in /proc/sys/kernel/sg-big-buff which will keep SANE
happy. [Unfortunately the latter action only takes
place when sg is built into the kernel, as has always
been the case.]

Cyril was using the original sg driver (assuming he was
using a stock RH6.0 2.2.5-15 kernel). That driver is a
lot more sensitive to miscues with SG_BIG_BUFF.

Doug Gilbert