Re: Getting a Phantom scanner to work (through Adaptec AVA-1502A)

Bernd Schroeder (bernd@aquila.muc.de)
Sun, 7 Nov 1999 16:25:31 +0100

On Fri, Nov 05, 1999 at 09:09:14PM +0100, Carl-Johan Sveningsson wrote:
> Hi there.
>
> With my hopes set high, I aimed for that this time getting SANE up and
> running...
>
> I understood how to get the SCSI-card up and running, but I won't get much
> further... (I use the aha152x)
>
> The driver will only partly detect the scanner...
> find-scanner returns:
> find-scanner: found scanner " Scanner 1.80" at device /dev/scanner
> find-scanner: found scanner " Scanner 1.80" at device /dev/sg0
> find-scanner: found scanner " Scanner 1.80" at device /dev/sga
>
> /proc/scsi/scsi contains:
> Attached devices:
> Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 06 Lun: 00
> Vendor: Model: Scanner Rev: 1.80
> Type: Scanner ANSI SCSI revision: 04
>
> As you see, it won't report at all that the scanner is in fact a Microtek
> Phantom [something]...

It is normal that the vendor string for Microtek scanners consists
of eight spaces. However, normally the model is specified more
exact, for instance 'Scanner 636A4'. If it is a model which should be
supported by the microtek2 backend, it won't work at all until this
model is known to the backend. Thus it would be interesting what
'[something]' is.

The backend does some checks on the inquiry information, and refuses
to work if it finds information, that it doesn't expect. For instance
the models it supports are all SCSI-2 devices, and therefore
it checks for an ANSI SCSI revision of 02.

Does anybody have an idea, why /proc/scsi/scsi says revision 04 ?

Then the backend checks for a model code. You should enable
debugging (set SANE_DEBUG_MICROTEK2=30) to get the model code, once
you get past the check for the SCSI version.

Bernd

--
Bernd Schroeder
Email: mailto:bernd@aquila.muc.de