Re: problem getting a snapscan to work

Karl-Heinz Guenster (Karl-Heinz.Guenster@t-online.de)
Fri, 22 Oct 1999 07:57:07 +0200 (MEST)

On 19-Oct-99 joakim verona wrote:
> Karl-Heinz Guenster wrote:
>>
>> On 18-Oct-99 joakim verona wrote:
>>
>> Hi Joakim,
>>
>> [...]
>>
>> > it now strikes me that the problem might be that the scanner needs
>> > termination,
>> > but it's unclear how to do this, because the scanner has one db25
>> > port
>> > and one centronics
>> > port. any snapscan users who now if it needs termination?
>>
>> It's different. My Snapscan needs an active termination on Adaptec
>> 2940, but on my Adaptec 1560 no active and no passive termination
>> can
>> help, only another scanner with termination inside will get them
>> running.
>>
>> I think, you should test active terminators.
>
> aargh! what are active terminators? do you mean supplying term power
> in
> the terminator somehow? aargh.
>
> doesn't active termination refer to the scsi hosts ability to find
> out
> if it
> should terminate the bus or not, depending on if there is an external
> chain as well?

Hi Joakim,

whenever it is possible you should terminate a SCSI-Bus. Therefore
active terminators are the best one. The SCSI-adapter itself can
terminate the exterial bus, if it is prepared for "Auto" or if you
define it manually. But this means that you have no device at the
exterial bus. If there are any devices, the last one in this chain must
have a terminator.

Several devices have their own terminator inside, but for the rare one
you need passive terminators. But usually active terminators are better
and more expensive, too.

Greetings Karl-Heinz

--
E-Mail: Karl-Heinz Guenster <karl-heinz.guenster@t-online.de>