Re: updating scsi bois?

Graham Travis (graham_travis@hotmail.com)
Tue, 19 Oct 1999 07:35:24 GMT

>From: "Zot O'Connor" <zot@zotconsulting.com>
>Subject: updating scsi bois?
>Date: Mon, 18 Oct 1999 15:30:29 -0700

> > The last version is 1.5, may be it helps when you update!
> >
> > Bye
> > Oliver
> >

>Sorry for the off topic post, can you upgrade the bios for UMAX
>scanners? My Vista-S8 has no info on that. Is this a chip replacement?
>
>BTW for me xscanimage + sane is probably 5 to 6 times as fast as
>photoshop/twain
>
>--
>Zot O'Connor

Zot,
The updated bios is available at
http://support.umax.co.uk/firmware/f107B.htm (check your local Umax site
too)
If your machine is listed (Vista - S8 is) then it can be upgraded. Latest
version appears to be V2.0: Unfortunately the upgrade is done by replacing
or reprogramming a UV erasable EPROM - NOT Flash ROM. (according to the FAQ)
so unless you have access to a cleaner and EPROM Programmer....
"firmware upgrades for non-maintenance customers cost £25 + £7.50
carriage, excluding VAT "
(I couldn't find $ details on the Umax.com site)
Regards,
Graham.