Re: Umax Vista-S8 -- anyone get this working under linux/BSD?

Oliver Rauch (oliver.rauch@Wolfsburg.DE)
Tue, 12 Oct 1999 17:43:43 +0200

Zot O'Connor wrote:

> I've had no luck getting anyone to reply to notes (my last one was in
> dec).
>
> I have a UMAX Vista-S8. It works fine under 95/NT under a variety of
> SCSI cards.
>
> Under all cards under linux, the scsi card (BIOS) sees the scanner, but
> I get no device on the kernel search.
>
> The scanner chugs, so it is getting a "are you there" message.
>
> My guess is that the scanner is SCSI 8 Bit, and I need to convince linux
> to see the scanner.
>
> Devices work past the scanner in the chain.
>
> Trying to add debugging to the kernel (2.2.5-15) doesn't seem to help.
>
> BTW I've seen this problem under RH 5.0, 5.1, 5.2, 6.0
>
> SCSI cards: Future domain 1801, Adaptec 2402 (?), Adaptec 1708.
>
> I really want this puppy to work under linux.

What does
cat /proc/scsi/scsi say?

Is the scanner in ready mode when the system boots?

Turn on the scanner 2 minutes before you boot your system.

Please keep me informed if the Umax Vista S8 works.

Bye
Oliver

--
EMAIL: Oliver.Rauch@Wolfsburg.DE