Re: can't recognize scanner

Craig Allen (cpallen@tampabay.rr.com)
Thu, 7 Oct 1999 22:20:06 -0400

> Craig Allen wrote:
>
> > I can use find-scanner and I get this:
> >
> > # find-scanner
> > find-scanner: found scanner "Nikon COOLSCANIII 1.20" at device /dev/scanner
> > find-scanner: found scanner "Nikon COOLSCANIII 1.20" at device /dev/sgd
> >
> > (I think I had to manually link scanner to sgd)
> > so find-scanner finds something (under both Linux & OS/2)
> >
> > now, when I use scanimage -L, it only shows the pnm devices, no real devices.
>
> Do you have permissions to read/write on the devices /dev/sg* ,
> /dev/scanner?
> Who is owner/group of /dev/sg*, /dev/scanner ?
>
> Andreas

Ugh, I should have said before that I am currently running as root,
and expect no permission problems. Also, the same thing happens under
OS/2 where I would expect no such problems as well.

Here's the info anyway:

bash# ls /dev/scanner /dev/sgd -la
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 3 Aug 31 20:28 /dev/scanner -> sgd
crw------- 1 root root 21, 3 Jul 18 1994 /dev/sgd

Once I get it going as root, I'll worry about setting up a scanner
group, etc.

Thanks.

--
Craig