Re: Microtek Phantom 636cx again

=??Q?Nov=E1k_Levente?= (novak@jaguar.dote.hu)
Tue, 5 Oct 1999 20:13:20 +0200

On Tue, 05 Oct 1999 19:14:20 Bernd Schroeder wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Tue, Oct 05, 1999 at 09:30:55AM +0200, Levente NOVAK wrote:

> > - the image mirrored (like if it would be seen through a mirror)
> > - vertical stripes or bands, especially one much darker. It is like if the
> > scanned image would be a copy produced by a dirty copier or a printer
> > which has toner problems.
> > None of the above problems is present when I scan under Windows. The
> > mirror phenomenon is not really annoying as I can flip the images with an
> > appropriate program, but the dark stripe is. Does the scanner compensate
> > under Windows for the fluorescent tube's light unevenness, or is it
> > something else?
>
> If I knew, what the scan software does under Windows, it would probably be
> easier to fix problem of a certain type. But normally there is a colour
> calibration process at the beginning of each scani which does exactly
> such a compensation. According to the
> spec this calibration can either be performed by the device or by the
> backend. Default is that the device does the calibration, so one could
> try the calibration by backend, but this is where the other phantom cx models
> stopped working, and it won't work for your particular device anyways.

Unfortunately I don't know of a method what would permit to "intercept" the commands sent by the Windows driver. Do you?

> > Advanced picture system: No
> > Stripes: No
> > Slides: Yes
>
> This is the reason why the backend aborted, when you first tried it.
> Normally the TMA and ADF option can be inquired, if they are supported,
> even if there is no TMA or ADF attached to the device. Either this
> isn't possible ffor the Slide mode or there is a bug in the backend, so that
> it gets confused with stripes and slides. I will check this.

OK, thanks.

> > Scan button: Yes
>
> The Phantom 636cx is probably very similar to the Slimscan C6 which,
> according to Microtek's web site, does have a scan button.
> Maybe they use the same firmware engine.

Yes, that is possible after all. The switch is simply not connected to any button, I suppose.

> > LUT capabilities: None
>
> This attribute normally indicates the size of the gamma and the shading
> tables, which can be sent to the scanner. The shading table is used for
> the calibration process, so this is the reason, why 'calibration by backend'
> will probably not work for you.
>
> Did you try the following: Do one or more scans under Windows, and then
> reboot into Linux *without* switching the power of the device off. If
> it is a colour calibration problem, it is possible that it is still
> calibrated, when you start a scan under Linux.

Yes, I tried, but the dark stripe remains. The scanner is constantly on and I booted to Linux with loadlin (so without doing a reset).

> I don't know, why some devices indicate that they do not accept these tables.
> Before I have seen this only once with the device of one V6USL user, but
> another device of another user (same model, same FW) had this attribute
> set to 4096 words, which is ok.

Is it possible that the Phantom 636cx "lies" concerning this capability?

> > Miscellaneous capabilities...
> > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> > Data format: Line by line in concatenated sequence,
> > without color indicator
> > Color Sequence: B - G - R
> > Scanning direction: Right to left
>
> This is probably the reason, why the image is mirrored. All other models
> I know about, have a scanning direction of "left to right". Currently
> the backend ignores this parameter, but it will be relatively easy to fix.
>
> > CCD gap: 0 lines
> > CCD pixels: 5100
> > Calib wh str loc: -207
> > Max calib space: 48
> > Number of lens: 1
> > Max no of windows: 8
> > Sh trnsf func equ: 0
> > Buffer type: Ring
> > FEPROM: No
>
> [...]
>
> > [readimagestatus]
> > 28008300000000000000
> > [readimagecmd]
> > 2800000000000079ec00
> >
> > (The last two lines repeated several times)
>
> The last two lines or only the last line ?

Both of the two last (non-blank) lines: the [readimagecmd] and the number "2800000000000079ec00" 49 times, then a 50th [readimagecmd] and a different 20-digit number (280000000000000e5800).

Levente