Re: Newbie Q: Accessing Scanport SQ4800 via SANE

Dan Kegel (dank@alumni.caltech.edu)
Tue, 31 Aug 1999 02:01:31 -0700

Hugo van der Kooij wrote:
> > Attached devices:
> > Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 06 Lun: 00
> > Vendor: N-TEK Model: NuScan II Rev: 1.60
> > Type: Scanner ANSI SCSI revision: 03
> Do you have Generic SCSI support at all? It's propably missing in the
> kernel or it's a module you didn't load.

Yes. I'm running vanilla Red Hat 6.0. 'cat modules' shows
sg 3824 0 (autoclean) (unused)

Just to make sure, I recompiled a kernel without modules,
and with generic scsi installed. No change.
I also set permissions on /dev/sg0 (= /dev/sga) to
664. No joy. But setting permissions to 666 did something
very different; guess installing
sane-1.0.1-2.i386.rpm and sane-clients-1.0.1-2.i386.rpm
doesn't create executables that are setgid to scanner
(makes sense, since the scanner group didn't exist after the install).

Now I get a segfault when I run scanimage:
#0 0x4023a730 in _init ()
#1 0x4023da8d in _init ()
#2 0x4023f899 in sanei_config_attach_matching_devices ()
#3 0x4023dbcd in sane_apple_init ()
#4 0x4001753f in _init ()
#5 0x400177cf in sane_dll_get_devices ()
#6 0x40017efd in sane_get_devices ()
#7 0x804ab3d in _start ()
after it loads libsane-apple.so.1 (which is well after it
loads the two microtek drivers).

So, um, now what? :-) I don't really think fixing
the crash in libsane-apple would help me, since I don't
have an Apple scanner. The Microtek drivers didn't detect
my scanner. Perhaps Microtek was fibbing when they said
I had a Microtek scanner?

Who is this N-TEK, anyway? And what is the NuScan II?
Do other people with Microtek scanners see that in /proc/scsi/scsi?
- Dan

--
(The above is my opinion alone, and not that of my employer)