Re: Machine lock-ups while scanning. HP scanjet 5P/BusLogic Flashpoint

Brian Macy (bmacy@sunshinecomputing.com)
Mon, 30 Aug 1999 12:11:28 -0700

Hmmm... Interesting... I forgot to post my answers...
- Do you have any other SCSI controller in the system?
Yes. BT-958 and on-board Adaptec 7895 (Dual Channel SCSI UW)
- Are you using IDE?
Nope.
- Is the BusLogic adaptor the only device on it's IRQ?
No... I try but the stinking Tyan board I have does not assign IRQs
correctly. That's one major reason I'm replacing it. PCI is supposed to
allow IRQ sharing but the driver needs to support it... many Linux
drivers do not. From what I've read on linux-kernel it is simply best
not to share IRQs.
- Is your system SMP?
Yes... Dual Celerons (PPGA with converter board)
- What motherboard are you using?
Tyan Thunder 100 (1696DLUA)... Dual PII LX Motherboard.

My BusLogic controller doesn't like ripping audio off my Toshiba 32x
SCSI CD drive on that controller. Odd enough it does fine with my Yamaha
CDRW-2260 6x SCSI on the same channel.

Things to note as similarities (and differences with the guy who
submitted a successful use of a BusLogic controller):
- Additional SCSI controller
- Tyan board
- SMP

I'll be switching to an ABIT BP6 dual motherboard soon and an AMI
MegaRaid 428 controller. The BusLogic will still run the scanner but
that will elimate one of the suspect components. If that doesn't fix it
I'll switch to Uni processor. If that still doesn't fix it I'll sell my
BusLogic card on ebay and get something else... what is a popular and
solid SCSI controller for SANE scanning?

Brian Macy