Re: SANE V2

Tom Martone (tom@martoneconsulting.com)
Thu, 26 Aug 1999 19:47:18 -0400

Greetings,

Nick Lamb wrote:

> ...I've written up a draft of how I
> currently think SANE 1.2 / SANE 2 should look.
Some comments follow:

Section 3.2.2

SANE_FRAME_TEXT
I'd suggest removing the last sentence: "The text in this frame is
associated with the preceding image or images." I think that since
the content of the frame is defined by the backend, we should not assume
any association of the frame with its neighbors. You could have the
rather odd case of the scanner decoding barcodes only and in that case
there would be no preceding image(s). I think that a dutiful backend
would document the sequence of its frames and point to how any useful
associations between them could be made.

I'd also add what will be expected in the SANE_Parameters structure
for this frame (I know that you've added some mention of this in
section 4.3.8, but it would be helpful here too). Perhaps something
like this:
"The values specified in the SANE_Parameters structure for
this frametype should be: depth = 0, pixels_per_line = 0,
bytes_per_line = 1, and lines should contain the number of bytes in
the frame or -1 if this not known a priori."

SANE_FRAME_JPEG
...a typo?... "the results in The JPEG data"
^

SANE_FRAME_G31D, _G32D, G42D, _JPEG

Again I'd add a hint about the SANE_Parameters values here as well.

"The values specified in the SANE_Parameters structure represent
the parameters of the decoded image."

Section 4.3.8

The sentences regarding the optional frame types would not apply quite
well to the _TEXT frame type. Another reason why I though the proper
settings of the SANE_Parameter values might best be dealt with in section
3.2.2 where you could deal with them on a frame by frame basis. Note that
there is existing language here pointing the reader to section 3.2.

Tom Martone