Re: SANE V2

Oliver Rauch (oliver.rauch@Wolfsburg.DE)
Tue, 24 Aug 1999 21:29:14 +0200

Stephen Williams wrote:

> Oh, and I'm the high speed scanner guy (or one of them) and I would be
> delighted with just adding JFIF an TIFF/G4 frame types. A lot of other
> scanner guys are also happy with this abbreviated list, so somehow I don't
> see the flood of frame types you are decrying, though I don't care if
> the types are communicated as ordinal numbers, arbitrary text strings,
> or tuned chirps of trained crickets, as long as I can interpret them fast
> and easy.

Hi Stephen,

I see no advantage of using numbers for it, but it makes it much more
easy for the frontend programmers to support new formats and it is
much more easy to add new formats to the standard because you do
not need a new sane.h file.

If an old frontend connects to a newer backend that uses a new format
it can say "OK, I got the format image/blah and do not know what to do with it"
that is much better then a "I got the format 172 ..."

Bye
Oliver

--
EMAIL: Oliver.Rauch@Wolfsburg.DE