Re: SANE V2

Tom Martone (tom@martoneconsulting.com)
Thu, 19 Aug 1999 06:20:26 -0400

Oliver Rauch wrote:

> becka@rz.uni-duesseldorf.de wrote:
>
> > O.K. - if it really really really pleases all people here, we can add that
> > types. But as said, I am afraid of opening a neverending growth of the
> > frame types, which is very bad regarding compatibility and cannot be easily
> > extended by just editing a textfile or something.
>
> Hey: does anyone know what you suggested?
> Do you really want to get a sane standard with 1000 pages?
Actually, by adding the frametypes that have been discussed (excluding
the MIME one), the standard would grow by about a page or two.

Here's a piece of the language from that sane standard that addresses
image formats and mentioned that "the interface has been defined carefully
to allow extending it in the future".

3.2 Image Data Format

Arguably the most important aspect of an image acquisition system
is how images are represented. The SANE approach is to define a
simple yet powerful representation that is sufficient for vast
majority of applications and devices. While the representation is
simple, the interface has been defined carefully to allow extending
it in the future without breaking backwards compatibility. Thus,
it will be possible to accommodate future applications or devices
that were not anticipated at the time this standard was created.

Although it doesn't specifically say so, it seems to me that one
mechanism put in place to allow extension is the frametype. And
there certainly is no mention of the magical all encompassing mime
frametype arriving to save the day.

With the frametypes _JFIF, _JBIG, _G31D, _G32D, and _G42D what we are
trying to do is "accommodate future applications or devices that were
not anticipated at the time this standard was created" in the most
straighforward and painless manner.

Why is the process of getting there so painful?

Tom Martone