Re: SANE V2

Nick Lamb (njl98r@ecs.soton.ac.uk)
Wed, 18 Aug 1999 18:58:58 +0100 (GMT)

On Wed, 18 Aug 1999, Andreas Beck wrote:

> > > 1. Medium-Old frontends that do not know format xxx together with a
> > > driver that does. Those frontends cannot do anything reasonable with
> > > the data the driver offers in format xxx.
>
> > ... and won't get it because they don't ask for it.
>
> I will not be able to get a format the backend _can_ do, just because my
> frontend can't be smart about it ?

Depends on the frontend. If the frontend is Corel-Magic-Scan-Importer
and all it can do is take RGB/ GREY and insert it into a Corel App as
a graphics object, then NO of course it can't help you here.

If the frontend was e.g. XSane, I would expect that it will leave the
Format selector as described previously (ie a SANE option) in the
Advanced dialog, if you want to play with it. Then you will receive an
unknown FRAME_ type, and it will say "Save?" or whatever...

> Note, that there is a question of how you ask for a frame format. Options
> are global stuff. If you transfer multiframe stuff, you might get things you
> did not specifically ask for, at least not in an (for the mind of a
> program) obvious manner.

I'll assume you mean multi-image (just how hard is it to get terminology
straight on this list?) in which case you need loads of options anyway for
scanners like the ones described recently.

/-Area 1------------------\
| Format [JPEG] | NB It is NOT as has already been said
| Top left [ 50] [ 50]| enough times, the intention that
| Bottom right [105] [ 94]| the same interface would be used for
| | my Coolscan III slide scanner as for
--Area 2------------------- a $5000 high speed doc scanner.
| Format [G3 ] |
| Top left [ 0] [ 0]| Just so long as they are united by a
| Bottom right [ 50] [ 50]| common API standard.

The SANE standard, or for the lack of one <sigh> common sense, will dictate
that no scanner will send me SANE_FRAME_FOO unless I asked for it. With
an interface like XSane, I can ask for it from Advanced options, and with
a custom-built interface as will doubtless be used for the B&H scanners in
some cases, the frontend app can be bright enough to do this for me.

It's doubtfull that an interface like XSane would even support selecting
more than one image to send (SANE doesn't yet specify tlx[1] -- tlx[9]
or any similar mechanism) so for that case your argument is moot.

Nick.