Re: SANE V2

Tom Martone (tom@martoneconsulting.com)
Sun, 15 Aug 1999 17:22:25 -0400

Nick Lamb wrote:

> On Sun, 15 Aug 1999, Andreas Beck wrote:
>
> > With more intelligence being moved into the scanners, we might get
> > text/plain or text/rtf in the future. TWAIN has provisions to read barcodes,
> > so their translation is probably also directly provided by some scanners.
>
> If the scanner wants to speak text, it's probably beyond the territory
> we should sensibly stake out for SANE. At that point you're looking at a
> whole new class of device IMHO.
I'd have to disagree with you on this on, Nick. If you have a scanner
that has an integral barcode/patchcode decoding feature that works on the
surrently scanned image data in the firmware of the scanner, do we want to
use SANE just to get the image data? Then do we get an OCR package to
decode in software, the barcodes out of the saved image data? I've
observed that the scanner firmware does it more quickly and more reliably,
than an OCR approach and it does it at scan time rather than a separate
pass.

Although this is an obscure feature when you consider the types of scanners
that individuals own, it's quite common with production level document
scanners. It's not new. These capabilities have existed for several
years.

TWAIN 1.7 and ISIS support this data exchange, and SANE should as well,
I think. I don't see why high-speed production document scanning with
barcode/patchcode support is out of the scope of SANE.

Scanners from Bell+Howell, Kodak, Ricoh, and others have barcode/patchcode
support.

Tom Martone