Re: Starting a discussion about SANE and TWAIN...

Oliver Rauch (oliver.rauch@Wolfsburg.DE)
Sun, 15 Aug 1999 18:51:05 +0200

Milon Firikis wrote:

> I think you are wrong on that:
> In win32 with the functions
> [_open,_pipe_,_close,DuplicateHandle,_open_osfhandle,_dup,_dup2]
> you can get the exact same functionality as with the POSIX ones [open,
> close, pipe, fcntl, dup, dup2].

Ok.

> For all the other matters, I can' comment. Especially I don't understand
> why you would like to turn your xsane into a TWAIN backend. Anyway, I am
> not questioning you, because I am aware that I am missing some critical
> details, and I am taking for granted that you don't :).

I do not want to make xsane only a TWAIN backend.
The point is:
I think it is good to have a TWAIN standard on unix systems
and I want to support this idea.
The twain people want to use the drivers we already have written,
so from the view of sane we only need to add a TWAIN interface
to one or all graphical sane frontends.
So I want to add the TWAIN interface to xsane, that is comparable
to the gimp-plugin mode of xsane.

> As a side note, I hate to fire up false alarms, but reading through the
> e-mail chain (TWAIN--SANE) so far, I get the feeling that:
>
> 1) TWAIN people haven't realized that SANE is open source in general,
> and GPL in particular
> 2) They think that they need special permission to get the code
> 3) They are not aware for the two TWAIN frontend to SANE attempts. Maybe
> they should take a look at:
> http://www.sunshinecomputing.com/winsane/
> http://integramicro.com/winsane/
>
> Finally WinZip is the standard (shareware) program for decompression in
> windows world. It handles greatly *.tar.gz. So if they download
> ghostcript/ghostview for win32 they could then read the SANE Standard
> document.
>
> Since you are our ambassador to the TWAIN-land, by the blessing of our
> leader (David) I think you should make sure that I am wrong and the
> TWAIN people are aware of the programs and documents I mentioned.
> Otherwise I find the lack of knowledge about them a very good base for
> mutual misunderstanding :-/.

I think you understood here something wrong.
The idea the TWAIN people have is to make availabel a TWAIN
standard on unix systems to make it easy for application (like Photoshop)
programmers to make a unix version of their windows/Mac software.

Of course they can take the code of us and use it, but what they want
is that the sane team and the twain team do this togehter!

To get a sane frontend on windows is only a little side effect of this
idea.

Bye
Oliver

--