Re: Starting a discussion about SANE and TWAIN...

Oliver Rauch (oliver.rauch@Wolfsburg.DE)
Sat, 14 Aug 1999 13:12:33 +0200

Andreas Beck wrote:

> > -> TWAIN to SANE-FRONTEND-wrapper
>
> That is the hard part, especially, if we try to:
>
> > The wrapper and the standard has to be compatible to
> > all operating systems.
>
> On Unix I would use some form of IPC. Probably pipes. How is it handled on
> Win and MacOS now ?
>

> I think pipes are probably best for starters, as they enforce a streamed
> protocol, that can definitely be used on any platform of interest, at worst
> using a TCP/IP connection to localhost, which every platform that is in use
> nowadays should support.

Hi Andy,

I think we should have a look how TWAIN does this on windows/mac.
Of course using pipes is the simplest way to do it, but as far as I know there
are no pipes on Windows and Mac.

The wrapper should not do a lot. May be we can include it into the frontends
like a sanei_* routine, so the frontend itself gets a TWAIN interface.

Hi Mark,
can you tell us a bit about how the TWAIN layers do work
(as library with direct call, as program with IPC, ...)?

Bye
Oliver

--
EMAIL: Oliver.Rauch@Wolfsburg.DE