Re: Starting a discussion about SANE and TWAIN...

Oliver Rauch (oliver.rauch@Wolfsburg.DE)
Fri, 13 Aug 1999 23:30:44 +0200

Andreas Dilger wrote:

> The real question, as I see it, is why have TWAIN on Unix systems in the
> first place? I don't think there are any TWAIN apps on Unix at the current
> time, and if developers are porting over PC/Mac apps to Unix, they can
> always use SANE to interface with image acquisition tools. It's actually
> counter-productive to expect any kind of TWAIN support in the Unix world,
> since all there is right now is SANE, so they should use what's available.

> To be honest, it shouldn't be too hard to develop another TWAIN GUI
> front-end on the Windows side that talks to a SANE back-end, since one
> person has already done so (it didn't work 100%, but then again it only
> took a week). This would allow remote scanning right away, and if scanner
> manufacturers want a cross-platform standard, SANE would probably win out
> over TWAIN.

Hi Andreas,

where do you see the problem if there is TWAIN and SANE on unix
and may be other OS?

SANE defines an interface between a scanning frontend and a driver.
TWAIN also defines an interface between an application and the scanning
frontend - compareable to the interface between the GIMP and
xscanimage/xsane.

I think it is a very good idea to have TWAIN on unix systems. May be
we get programs like Photoshop on unix systems this way.

TWAIN and SANE do not need to be concurrent standards,
both can benefit from each other!!!

Bye
Oliver

--