Re: RGBI (was Re: xsane-0.31 available)

David Fox (dsfox@cogsci.ucsd.edu)
04 Aug 1999 08:58:14 -0700

Oliver Rauch <oliver.rauch@Wolfsburg.DE> writes:

> If the nikon coolscan is the only device that uses an IR channel,
> the nicon backend is the right place for the filter and the backend
> will send a SANE_FRAME_RGB to the frontend. In that case we would
> not need a SANE_FRAME_RGBI.

I don't think this reasoning holds. The data itself might be of use
to the front end, even if only the Nikon backend can produce it -- and
if one scanner produces it now, it is not unlikely that others will
produce it in the future. It does not seem prudent for the backend to
discard *any* data unilaterally.

--
David Fox           http://hci.ucsd.edu/dsf             xoF divaD
UCSD HCI Lab                                         baL ICH DSCU