Re: SANE_FRAME Formats (was Re: xsane-0.31 available)

Nick Lamb (njl98r@ecs.soton.ac.uk)
Wed, 4 Aug 1999 05:51:33 +0100 (GMT)

On Tue, 3 Aug 1999, Tom Martone wrote:

> Document scanners such as the Bell+Howell scanners can produce CCITT-G3,
> CCITT-G3-2D, and CCITT-G4 compressed image streams. I'm not sure if it
> would be appropriate to classify these formats as proprietary although
> they are certainly not specifically supported by SANE.

Unless I'm sorely mistaken, this algorithm is so cheap that you can
trivially do it inline. Is there a problem with doing this in your
backend? If it turns out to be too expensive, we should probably add
one or more frame types as necessary to SANE.

The barcode stuff is a separate issue, and I suspect there's more to it
than meets the eye -- can you really just scan barcode string data off
A4 pages as you're going along? Or is it meant for indentifying the
documents somehow?

If the barcodes aren't really "image data" as such you can expose them
as an option text string which is changed by the backend only and
updates for each new page. Then a custom frontend can read the codes
before/during/after each page is scanned. No magic needed :)

NB There is NO NEED for each and every frontend to support each and every
possible FRAME format. A bulk-scanning app needn't support stuff used
only in desktop scanners, and a photo-oriented app needn't do CCITT.

Nick.