Re: RGBI (was Re: xsane-0.31 available)

Oliver Rauch (oliver.rauch@Wolfsburg.DE)
Tue, 03 Aug 1999 20:50:51 +0200

Nick Lamb wrote:

> If you don't have any technical reasons (and "I think Infrared is a lot
> like Alpha" isn't a technical reason) for removing this frame format,
> which IS ALREADY IN USE then please put it back.

What are you talking about?
The frontend xsane is able to save an image with rgb and alpha channel.
That was named SANE_FRAME_RGBI and this is not correct like you
say too.
All I did was to rename this function in xsane to SANE_FRAME_RGBA
and I suggested to add this frame format to the sane standard.

If a backend wants to save some image data as RGBA it only needs to
say the image comes in fromat SANE_FRAME_RGBA.

Here you write you want it back, in the other mail you write you do not
want to have it saved as RGBA.
Do you know what you want?

> I can't see a use for SANE_FRAME_RAW -- If I receive a SANE_FRAME_RAW I
> am now the proud owner of some random bytes. The contents are totally
> undefined, so why use SANE at all?

If you do not know what you scanned there is no one and nothing that can help
you
in that point. If you know what you scanned give the file a name that describes
what
you scanned!
If you want to make it visible, the backend has to say in which color
or you have to write a converting program that makes visible data from it.

Bye
Oliver

--
EMAIL: Oliver.Rauch@Wolfsburg.DE