Re: xsane-0.31 available

Ewald R. de Wit (ewald@pobox.com)
Tue, 3 Aug 1999 02:56:40 +0200

Oliver Rauch (oliver.rauch@Wolfsburg.DE) wrote:

> the idea of the infrared-channel of the slide scanners is comparable
> to the alpha channel. It is to detect dust and things like that to
> identify the transparency of the slide.

Well I hope the name RGBI will be used in a new SANE standard. There
is a vague analogy between the IR and the alpha channel but this
doesn't warrent to call them 'comparable', let alone to use their
names interchangebly.

> Of course we could add an IR and an UV channel and thousands of other
> channels, but then somone should go and define image file formats that do
> suppurt such data.

What image file formats do or do not exist has actually got nothing to
do with the topic at hand. SANE is only concerned with the data flow
between scanner, backend, frontend and potentially something
in between. It is of no concern to SANE how the data is stored on file.
Besides, perhaps a future frontend will know how to process these
thousends of data channels to export only 3 neatly corrected RGB channels
(hyperscanning comes to mind, where the full spectrum for each pixel
is measured).

You don't seem to have addressed my concerns, namely that your name
change is confusing to people and an obsticle to future additions of
functionality.

--
  --  Ewald