Re: Release early, release often

Nick Lamb (njl98r@ecs.soton.ac.uk)
Sun, 18 Jul 1999 23:38:56 +0100 (GMT)

On Sun, 18 Jul 1999, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:

> I'm one of the strange programmers who beleave in the slogan "Release
> early, release often". I find the release rate of SANE too late and
> too slow.

Unfortunately I have to agree. In theory, SANE 1.0 should have been a
good solid release, which many users would never have had cause to
replace (at least until they upgraded their OS)

In practise there were two problems with this:

(1) SANE didn't deserve that 1.0 sticker. The 1.0.1 release should have
gone out the door DAYS not MONTHS later. The same bugs were reported
time and again to the list, and David was busy doing other things.

I think the worst of this will soon be past. There are some elusive bugs
in the transport code, and a lot of usability issues (some solved by
XSane) but it feels more solid now than it was six months ago.

(2) Scanners, like almost all PC hardware, change quickly and always
choose lower costs and more features over compatability with previous
models. HP being the nearest to a genuine exception. SANE drivers take
long enough to arrive as it is, without waiting for a major release.

TIME though, is a limiting factor. Does someone have the TIME to do the
thankless donkey-work required for Release Early and Often on a big
project like SANE?

Nick.