Re: Xsane questions and wish list

Peter Kirchgessner (peter@kirchgessner.net)
Sun, 18 Jul 1999 17:06:46 +0200

Steve Gunnell wrote:

> Oliver Rauch wrote:
>
> > xsane uses the gamma bit depth the backend uses,
> > but the scanner gamma table has to be activated (normally
> > by custom gamma table in standard options, but backend dependent)!
>
> I'm just using the default settings. I assumed the scanner was beingchanged
> because when I closed xsane and went back to xscanimage
> my attempts to correct the white level in xsane were still being applied
> to the xscanimage previews. I had to turn the scanner off to clear them.
>
> > Check it in the info window (gamma correction by scanner!)
>
> Will do.
>
> > Ask the backend author about the supported bit depth!
>
> The Photosmart FAQ indicates that at my firmware rev the scannerwill only
> return 8 bit values to the host but the A/D converter handles
> at least 10 bit values. Lets hear it for crippleware.

Hi Steve,

the R032 firmware reports 24 and 30 bits capability of the scanner, but
no tone map support which is used as a gamma map. The gamma map is
simulated by software on those scanners. But only for 24 bits (as you
have seen in the sane-hp manpage).
You can supply me with a 30bit capable HP-scanner and I can try to add
the simulation for 30 bits too if noone else will do it.

> Thanks,
>
> Steve Gunnell

-- Peter

--