Re: SnapScan 0.7 sources available; working patch upcoming

Douglas Gilbert (dgilbert@interlog.com)
Wed, 14 Jul 1999 22:39:58 -0400

Kevin Charter wrote:

> As Francois pointed out, the patch I put on my web page last Friday
> night was against the wrong version of the sources. Sigh.
>
> Sorry for the confusion everyone. Working 0.7 source files are
> now available at
>
> http://www.cs.ualberta.ca/~charter/SnapScan/snapscan.html
>
> These can be used as drop-in replacements for the sources in
> SANE-1.0.1.
>
> I'll put patches that update the SANE 1.0.1 originals up in the
> next day.

Attacking the same problem from another angle there is
a "test version" of the Linux sg driver (2.1.35) on
http://www.torque.net/sg

Francois's tests show that it cures his Snapscan problem.
I encourage others to try it. It will probably reach the
production kernel around 2.2.12 .

Abel Deuring <a.deuring@satzbau-gmbh.de> is also getting
some impressive speedups with his SnapScan using larger
buffers and "pseudo" command queuing.

Also anyone having out of memory problems with Linux when
using SCSI devices (not just sg) may like to try 2.2.10-ac10
that has improvements in the page allocation algorithms by
H. J. Lu. Those changes seem to help a lot and hopefully
will appear in 2.2.11 .

Doug Gilbert