Re: Nikon Coolscan with RedHat 6.0

Andreas (andreas.rick@wanadoo.fr)
Wed, 30 Jun 1999 22:15:28 +0200

Malcolm Wallace wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I was running my Nikon Coolscan II (LS20) very happily under SANE 0.74
> and Slackware 3.4 (kernel 2.0.36) until recently. Due to a hard disk
> crash, I had to reinstall everything, and took the opportunity to
> upgrade to RedHat 6.0 (kernel 2.2.5-15) which provides SANE 1.0.1.
>
> Suddenly, my Coolscan no longer works. Here are the symptoms:
>
> xscanimage starts fine, and I can take a preview of the slide okay.
> However, when I click for a full scan, the scanner makes a horrible
> rattling noise (immediately) and the machine freezes completely. The
> scanner light continues to blink, which usually indicates an error
> condition. It looks like a SCSI hang to me - the hard reset button is
> the only way to recover.
>
> Is this likely to be caused by the new SCSI generic (sg) driver? (But
> I thought pre-2.2.6 kernels still used the old driver?) Or is it
> related to the autofocus problem that people have been reporting with
> the newer Coolscan driver for the LS30? (As far as I know, I don't
> have those updates, but perhaps I'm mistaken?) Any other ideas?

If the version number in sane/backend/coolscane.desc is below 0.4
you use the original backend, if it is above or equal 0.4.0 you use the
modified
version.
The modified version has not been included into the official sane
distribution yet, so unless you downloaded it from my posting in sane-devel

you should not have it.

If you are willing to experiment (as I haven't tested the new backend with
the
LS-20 yet - I don't have one) you may try the new backend
which will allow you to turn autofocussing off.
This doesn't help you a lot as (I suppose) you want sharp images, but
at least we would know whether this is linked to the same problem.

At least from your description, there seems to be a high probability
that this is the same problem.

> I tried checking and unchecking the "prescan" radiobutton, but the
> behaviour was the same either way.

The prescan is not linked to the autofocus.