Re: Scanner Development

Roderick Klein (rwklein@wxs.nl)
Mon, 28 Jun 1999 22:53:16 +0000

M. Been wrote:

> Dear Sirs,
> A customer of ours gave us this email address, telling us that you
> keep yourself busy with developping scanners and other peripherals in
> Linux Suse.

Hello Mister Been,

First of all there are many Linux distributions and for some versions
you need a recompile before they work under a specific version (as far
as I know). To start, go to http://www.mostang.com/sane/ for more
information.
On http://www.mostang.com/sane/sane-support.html you see all the
different recompiles .It is not ment negative, but how far are you with
Linux. Its great that Trust wants to look in supporting Linux, but you
mention Linux Suse, this is just one of the Linux distributions. My
question is, what do you mean with Linux Suse, do you think that this IS
Linux ?!?!?

> We bring different computer peripherals on the market under the brand
> Trust. More and more endusers are asking us questions on the field of getting
> the equipment working under Linux.

There is a big change that some of them are already supported because
they contain a specific chipset that is used by more manufactors.

For all the people on this list, this is not to start a old debate, but
a question I just have to ask. I love to see Linux grow and finaly shake
up Microsoft to create something better then Windows (if this will ever
happen!!??). But why Mister Been have you never given response to OS/2
users who asked for support for OS/2. OS/2 had a big base of users. I
use my scanner under WIN/OS2 (Windows 3.1 under OS/2). For OS/2 I have
never seen any support for scanners (except third party stuff and SANE).
But that is off topic. I you want to respond to this question, please
send an email to me.

> Do you have some documentation on developping Scanners in Linux for
> our own purposes in text format?

For more info look at http://www.mostang.com/sane/.

Before you look any futher you should look at backends that have already
been written. This is just gamble, but Trust does not make its hardware
and chips it self (as far as I know). When I do a trace via www.fcc.gov
on my Trust 2400SP (via FCC number) I end up at Teco information
products in Taiwan. And there you can also download a driver for a
Scorpio scanner..... Also I have IMPOS/2 (a commerciel scanner
application for OS/2). When I select a mustek scanner and give the
command to scan, the scanner moves a inch and then stops. Just stupid
luck ? Or a hint! My suggestion is, could the Trust scanner already be
supported and with a little bit work with a backend that has already
been written ?!?!?

Besides the SCSI scanners that work great, only a few parallel scanners
work, but many
parallel scanners under Linux are forgotten.

I you going to support Linux, please do the following, go open source!

1 Write the backends and release the source codes and at then at them
to the SANE project. This way other Linux versions, and none Linux
platforms can also be supported.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sane and Linux are a succes because they ARE open source!

2 Release the specs and find a few people who want to write them.

Sane has even been ported to OS/2 and there are many happy OS/2 users
that use SANE. Many Linux versions are also supported.

> Kind Regards,
> Aashima Technology B.V.
> Trust Support Department
> M. Been