Re: Fix for grayscale scans with gamma < 1.0

David Fox (dsfox@cogsci.ucsd.edu)
23 Jun 1999 11:43:05 -0700

Oliver Rauch <oliver.rauch@Wolfsburg.DE> writes:

> David Fox wrote:
>
> > Oliver Rauch <oliver.rauch@Wolfsburg.DE> writes:
> >
> > > I uploaded xsane-0.26 to my homepage:
> > > http://www.wolfsburg.de/~rauch/sane/sane-xsane.html
> >
> > Oliver,
> >
> > I've found a bug whose most obvious symptom is that grayscale scans
> > with a gamma < 1.0 come out pure black.
>
> Hi David,
>
> thanks for that info,
>
> I thought I corrected all this
> (but looks I only tested the color routines).
>
> This will be ok in xsane-0.27!

No problem... I'm currently scanning some very old and deteriorating
black and white photographs, and I've noticed a couple of problems
with using xsane. First, the range of the xsane brightness and
contrast controls is much less than the range provided in scanimage,
at least with my HP-3c scanner using the HP back-end.

Second, I think I will also need to be able to change the brightness
and contrast settings used when acquiring the preview, and see new
histograms and perform the usual xsane modifications in relation to
those new ``default'' settings.

If we could make these changes (and I do plan to work on this) and add
a few tweaks like changing the cursor when the rubber band is
grabbable I think xsane could be a superior scanning client to any
I've used in the Windows world. (IMHO.)

--
David Fox           http://hci.ucsd.edu/dsf             xoF divaD
UCSD HCI Lab                                         baL ICH DSCU