Re: SCSI-bus confusing with AVISION AV630CS/TEKRAM DC390F

Meino Christian Cramer (root@solfire.ludwigsburg.netsurf.de)
Wed, 23 Jun 1999 02:22:26 GMT

From: Nick Lamb <njl98r@ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Subject: Re: SCSI-bus confusing with AVISION AV630CS/TEKRAM DC390F
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 21:29:18 +0100 (GMT)

Hi Nick!

Thank you for your fast reply ! :-)

> On Tue, 22 Jun 1999, Meino Christian Cramer wrote:
>
> > Does anyone out there knows about some things I could try
> > to avoid those dead-scans?
>
> Well, to at least avoid killing the Linux box you should check out
>
> (1) SCSI may become happy again if you turn off the scanner when it hangs

Unfortunately it does not. I unplugged the scanner ... nothing.
I tried to leave X ... the screen blanks (the X-server end) but
I received a black screen, cause any access to the disk was blocked.
I tried to shutdown the "official" way ... no chance: the "shutdown"-
programm could not be loaded: disk blcoked. SySREQs also does not work.
Hardreset recalls the box ittself -- but the disk remains blocked so
the BIOS reports "disk access failure". Only after physically cycle power,
the block was ended -- sigh.

> You will see a lot of screaming from the kernel "Where did that go????"
> but then it should settle down and you can reboot safely
>
> (2) Magic SysRq is your friend, in 2.2.x at least you can configure the
> Alt+SysRq sequence on and have a keypress which syncs and reboots to
> avoid file corruption. Check out the appropriate kernel files.

Yes, it is activated since -- I don't know. But it was inaccessible after
the scsi-block. See above.

> AFAIK the SCSI mid-layer of Linux is unhelpful about reporting errors
> such as "You sent too much/ not enough/ wrong kind of data" to upper
> layers such as SCSI generic. Tinkering with mid-layer endangers SCSI
> disks, tape backups etc. and only benefits SCSI generic users. So it
> won't happen for a while yet.

Do you have any hint,or trick, what I have to chance in the backend?
What do I have done wrong there? In short: I done a INQUIRY, then
SET-WINDOW, START-SCAN and a READ-loop, which does not loop, cause
the block happens then.....

> Nick.

Thank you very much in advance!

KEEP HACKING!
Meino

*** YOU CAN STILL GET OUT OF THE MATRIX! ***
*** USE LINUX! ***