Re: Second version of Coolscan backend for the LS-30 and LS-2000

Andreas Rick (rickand@gemse.fr)
Tue, 15 Jun 1999 16:48:47 +0200

Fred Willingham wrote:

> It works for me! I used xscanimage.
>
> I had to turn on the advanced options and turn on auto-focus. (I think I had
> to turn advanced options "off" to tunr them on.)
>
> Is there any other means of focusing?

Until now I havn't figured out how to manually adjust the
focus. I have played a little bit with the manual adjustment
when using the TWAIN interface, but I did never get any
better results than the autofocus.
Has anyone ever needed to use manual focus under TWAIN?

For me the question was more when to do the autofocus:
none (default for now)-> All images (preview ans scan) are unsharp but you can
test the driver with SCSI-Cards for which the sg-driver
hangs at autofocus.
before preview -> preview scans are a little bit sharper
You need to do preview before every scan or
the images are not sharp
before scan -> preview images are not focused (but are usually too
small to make a difference anyway).
You can do many scans in a row without preview
and they will be sharp
before both -> You spend a lot of time waiting on autofocussing

-Andreas