Re: newbie - HP Scanjet 11cx

Peter Kirchgessner (peter@kirchgessner.net)
Mon, 31 May 1999 22:39:39 +0200

Hi Phillipp,

I have just added a msall list of FAQs about HP scanners to my homepage.
Maybe you can find an answer to your question.
I suppose the HP ScanJet IIcx is a SCSI scanner. So the little
controller card
is a SCSI card. But you need a SCSI driver for it. And this one comes
(hopefully)
with Linux. SANE does not include SCSI drivers.

Sincerely

Peter

phillipp wrote:

> O.S. is COL 2.2
>
> Things seem to track the March 98 LJ article pretty well except:
>
> 1. No scsi is seen (small detail :-))
> a. The hp.conf file only has /dev/scanner in it.
> b. /dev/scanner is a link to /dev/sge. ( I hve no scsi card, only the
> little controller card that came with the scanner).
> c. sge default was linked to sg4 - should I (unlink) that and link
> sge to sg0?, since that is the only and therefore the last scsi.
> A little foggy how that command line might look.
>
> 2. I see the menu's and the preview box, but don't see a "pnm" picture yet.
> Seems like it complained about not seeing a scanner. ( I think ) . I thought
> not finding the scanner might have nothing to do with delivering a pnm file.
> We are newbie green here.
>
> That scanner is "long term borrowed", and old, and I might replace it if
> necessary, but its in the "supported list".
> Hope this makes sense to someone. phillipp@w3eax.umd.edu

Peter Kirchgessner
WWW:    http://www.kirchgessner.net
e-mail: peter@kirchgessner.net