Re: only negative output with scanimage (Canon Canoscan 300)

Manuel Panea (mpd@rzg.mpg.de)
Tue, 25 May 1999 10:36:32 +0200 (METDST)

On Fri, 21 May 1999, Andreas Beck wrote:

> > Scan Mode:
> > (...)
> > --negative Negatives|Slides [inactive]
> > Selects the film type, i.e. negatives or slides
> > (...)
> > Extra color adjustments:
> > --negative[=(yes|no)] [yes]
> > Swap black and white
>
> It is a backend bug to have two options with the same name. Maybe we should
> document that in the SANE specs ... ???
>
> Bug the backend maintainer about that. One option should be renamed.

Hi. I am the backend author. I hereby consider myself bugged :-) This will
be corrected in the next version.

Denis: you can try the option "--negative Negatives" or "--negative
Slides", even if it at first sight does not seem to apply to your scanner.
Do try both "Negatives" and "Slides" and see which one gives you the
correct colors.

Another possibility, in case that does not work, would be to specify and
inverted gamma curve, something like this:

scanimage -d canon:/dev/sgb \
--custom-gamma=yes \
--analog-gamma-bind=yes \
--analog-gamma \
`perl -p 'for($i=255;$i;$i--){print "$i,"}print 0'`
--(...other options...)

> > By the way, to temporarily work around this problem, does anyone know a
> > program that can convert a negative pbm image into a positive one ?
>
> pnminvert ?

You can also use:

convert -negate (in the ImageMagick package)

Regards,

Manuel Panea || E-mail: mpd@rzg.mpg.de
Rechenzentrum Garching || http://www.rzg.mpg.de/~mpd
Postfach 1533 || Tel. +49 89 3299 1133