Re: Umax scanner woes (halp!)

Oliver Rauch (oliver.rauch@Wolfsburg.DE)
Fri, 21 May 1999 22:28:29 +0200

genkai wa doko da wrote:

> On Fri, 21 May 1999, Oliver Rauch wrote:
> > > scsi card: Always 2000 scsi card(I unhooked everything from the scsi chain except the scanner to get contamination free results btw!)
> > > Detected scsi generic sga at scsi0, channel 0, id 3, lun 0
> > > find-scanner: found scanner " " at device /dev/sga
> > >
> > > [umax] Found scanner version on device /dev/sga
> > > [umax] attach_scanner: scanner-identification failed
> > >
> > Hi,
> >
> > this looks very much like you have problems with your scsi card or bus.
> >
> > How is your scanner terminated,
>
> I have a 25 pin terminater which I had to mail order from UMAX it connects
> to the 2nd external p.port type scsi connector on the back of the scanner
>
> > how long is the cable between scanner and computer,
>
> 5'-6' (2 meters or so)

If your scsi-controller is an ultra-scsi controller,
this may be too much. If you have more then 2 devices conencted
(so if you add a cdrom or harddisk) the totoal cable length
(internal + external) must be shorter than 1.5 meter!!!

If this is a low-cost cable, it may make problems also!

> > how long is the scsi-cable in the computer,
>
> there is no cable in the computer currently ,I disconnected the drive that
> was on it to eliminate other devices being the source of my problems.
>
> > how is the internal scsi bus terminated?
>
> hm internal? I shouldn't have to have anything terminated if there is
> nothing connected to it should I? I mean where would you even terminate
> it? (maybe I don't understand scsi enough hm)

May be your controller does it automatically, but you have to check it.
The scsi bus must be terminated on both ends.

Bye
Oliver

--
EMAIL: Oliver.Rauch@Wolfsburg.DE