Re: Gamma and xsane

Chris Bitmead (chris.bitmead@bigfoot.com)
Fri, 21 May 1999 13:11:58 +0000

Oliver Rauch wrote:
> if the gamma slider in xsane is set to 1.0 the scanned data keeps untouched,
> if you select another value, the data that comes from the scanner is transformed

Do you lose any information this way?

> If you need a gamma correction of 1.0 on your monitor, I think the contast and
> brightness
> of your monitor is much too high. Normally you need a gamma correction of about
> 1.5 - 2.5
> to get good results on a monitor.
> Turn down brightness and contrast.

I believe that on high-end equipment, like Silicon Graphics workstations
and stuff, you can set the gamma to 1.0, and the video driver, or maybe
the video hardware will transform it appropriately for the monitor. In
other words, all software can assume a gamma of 1.0 and something
in-between will adjust it appropriately. There is some command -
"setgamma" or something. I think even some PC cards can do this too.
Sounds like a neat idea.

--
Chris Bitmead
http://www.bigfoot.com/~chris.bitmead