Re: Coolscan LS-30 + best scanner

Ewald R. de Wit (ewald@pobox.com)
Tue, 18 May 1999 12:25:19 +0200

Andreas Rick (rickand@gemse.fr) wrote:

> Should I define a new image frame format like SANE_FRAME_RGBI
> for RedGreenBlueInfrared ?
> The Viewscan software allows 40-bit (10bits*(R+B+G+I)) scans.

Yes, just put the SANE_FRAME_RGBI in sane.h and hope it
will be made official later on..

When I suggested this some time ago someone replied that that the RGBI
term was already used in the videoworld and that this might lead to
confusion. However, when doing a websearch on RGBI it does not appear
to be used extensively for that (most hits where for old Commodore
monitors). So in the context of scanners/imaging devices it shouldn't
be too confusive.

> This way the actual scanning time should be slower
> (during this time we require a lot of user interaction like selecting
> the scanning area and some color/brightness adjustments)
> and we could do the dust-removal offline in a big batch on
> all the image scanned.

That would be a good idea if you want to batch scan hundreds of
slides. But probably most people would like to get just one or a few
images as quickly as possible into the Gimp. For that it would
be nessacary to include the dust removal code also into the backend.

--
  --  Ewald