Re: USB scanner drivers

Nick Lamb (njl98r@ecs.soton.ac.uk)
Sat, 8 May 1999 21:37:34 +0100 (GMT)

On Fri, 7 May 1999, Michael Gee wrote:

> Do you know of any? I'm planning to write one (Linux 2.2.7 kernel base), and
> don't want to duplicate anyone's effort.
>
> Please reply to michael@linuxspecific.com <mailto:michael@linuxspecific.com>

I don't think anyone has got very far with USB scanners under Linux,
People doing Linux USB work should be subscribed to the list pointed to @
http://peloncho.fis.ucm.es/~inaky/USB/news.html

So if you aren't already, you should subscribe to that list. It looks as
though such scanners are SCSI-over-USB, so it might be possible to create
a SANE component which transparently speaks to USB instead of SCSI. Users
might then say "usb HP" instead of "scsi HP" in the configuration file.

Having this work probably needs more work from kernel drivers than SANE

Nick.