Re: scsi controller included in Mustek SE 12000SP

H C Pumphrey (hcp@met.ed.ac.uk)
Fri, 30 Apr 1999 17:37:08 +0100 (BST)

Hi Luca:

I sent essentially this message to sane-devel a month or so ago. I
re-posted it to debian-user in response to a similar question there and
the person who asked the question said that his scanner now works
perfectly. Annoying, as my Artec AT12 will still only do 1 scan before
refusing to communicate any more. However the person whose scanner worked
was using kernel 2.2.3 and I am still on 2.2.1 and SANE 1.0.0 so maybe I
need to upgrade.

On Thu, 29 Apr 1999, luca78 wrote:

> This afternoon I have bought a ScanExpress 12000SP. The controller does
> not work under linux because it's different from the model you mentioned.
> The exact writing on the chip is:
>
> DOMEX 436P
> 9818
> 002-D436P-001
>
> And, printed on the board, there is the name(?): DMX318LE
>
> I did not find any information on the net about this controller, it must
> be new. I think you should warn who thinks to buy a scanner like mine...
> Am I wrong? I am not an expert, but I think the included controller _was_
> changed.

So, Here is the original message on Debian-user and my reply
---------------Included message----------------------------------

On Mon, 26 Apr 1999, joost witteveen wrote:

> As the SANE docs told me the UMAX 1220S should work OK,
> I just bought one of those scanners.
>
> The scanner came with it's own ISA SCSI adaptor. The vendor
> already told me the card was somewhat strange, but well,
> I went for it. Anyway, I cannot get Linux 2.2.3 to recognise
> it (Simply turned on all SCSI interfaces).
>
> So, does anyone know if the UMAX Astra 1220 S also works with
> a normal SCSI card? (If so, I'll just buy one of those).
> Or, maybe someone has tips how to get the card I've got to work?
>
> Of cource, the stuff came without any information as to what
> brand SCSI card I have. So, all I know about the card is that
> the chip on it has written on it `DOMEX 436P, 9817, 002-D43P-001'
>
> (Oh, please also CC me, as I'm not (yet) subscirbed to this list).

This sounds as if it could be the same card as is supplied with the Artec
AT12 scanner. Here is the message I sent to SANE-Devel recently about
this. I have updated it slightly since then. If you get this card to work,
do please tell me!

On Thu, 18 Mar 1999, Christoph Doerbeck A242369 wrote to sane-devel:

> I apologize for asking this question again, because I've seen it asked
> many times on this list, but a buddy of mine bought a UMAX 1220S and
> received a dtc scsi adapter with it....
> should it work with linux?

The card that comes with the Artec AT12 scanner is similar if not
identical. According to the Windoze98 device manager it is called a
DTC3181X/3151X. The chip on it bears the letters DTCT436P. It has two
jumpers.

Domex's web site (www.domex.com.tw or www.domexusa.com but NOT
www.domex.com) doesn't list this board, but does list a board called
DMX3181LE which I suspect is identical to mine and probably to yours too.
They do not provide a Linux driver for this board (although they do for
some of their PCI SCSI cards). They provide a short FAQ which explains
what the jumpers do (sort of...). One jumper switches between plug-n-play
and plug-n-run mode. I don't know what this means: my card is set to
plug-n-run. For the other jumper I quote:

J2 1-2: OFF 1WS ( "One Wait State" means CPU waiting one CLK to process
peripheral devices) *

1-2: ON 0WS ("Zero Wait State" means CPU waiting zero CLK to process
peripheral devices )

The default setting is 1WS: I don't know what this means either. I'd be
grateful if someone could enlighten me!

If this doesn't sound like your card, please ignore the rest of this
message.

In my experience, you can't get these cards to work with kernel 2.0.34 but
you can with 2.2.1. You have to compile the kernel with generic NCR5380
scsi support and use the boot prompt argument dtc3181e=0x2c0,0. (This is
the bit that you need to know. Just turning on all the SCSI devices will
NOT work).

I still have not got my AT12 working well: it does one scan at most and
then refuses to respond. I don't know if this is a SANE problem or a SCSI
driver problem. I suspect the latter as other AT12 users can use SANE and
they are usually using other SCSI cards.

Other "features":

(*) The card is always detected at bootup.

(*) The scanner is only detected if it is turned on on at bootup. you
can't turn it on later and do something like

echo "scsi add-single-device 2 0 5 0" > /proc/scsi/scsi

to add the scanner

(*) If the scanner has been detected and you then turn it off, the machine
locks up solid and requires use of the Microsoft button to restart it.

I wondered at one time if it would be better to use a kernel module for
the scsi support. I tried this and it does allow you to turn off the
scanner without immediately locking up the machine. A lock-up does,
however, occurr (IIRC) if you try to unload the kernel modules.

Do please report whether your card is the same as I describe and whether
you succeed in getting it to work.

HTH!

Hugh