Re: HP ScanJet Plus

Raymond A. Ingles (inglesra@frc.com)
Thu, 29 Apr 1999 08:17:36 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 28 Apr 1999, Russell W. Behne wrote:

> A friend just donated a HP ScanJet Plus to me, along with the Parallel
> interface card, but no documentation.

If you're planning on writing a driver for it, I'd suggest getting the
book, "Linux Device Drivers" by Alessandro Rubini.

It's a shame - about a year and a half ago I had one of these, with
documentation and software but no interface card. I had to make room in my
computer closet and I pitched it. :-/

Anyway, you will need to get some fairly detailed information about how
the card works. Possibly HP could help, but you'll probably have to send a
lot of emails to various people until you find someone who can help you.

Another way to get that info would be to see if you can use the software
under DOSEMU or Wine, and "snoop" on the traffic between the driver and
the card. This is tedious and difficult, but I've heard of people doing
so.

Sincerely,

Ray Ingles (248) 377-7735 ray.ingles@fanucrobotics.com

"I can write programs that control air traffic, intercept ballistic
missiles, reconcile bank accounts, control production lines."

"So can I, and so can any man, but do they work when you do write them?"

- Fred Brooks, after Shakespeare, in "The Mythical Man-Month"