Re: SANE on MacOS, MacOS X ?

abel deuring (a.deuring@satzbau-gmbh.de)
Mon, 26 Apr 1999 16:33:26 +0200

Rick Frank wrote:

> I was wondering how you folks would react to some of us bringing SANE over to
> the MacOS? The APIs would be as close as possible, the low level code would of
> course be different in the current MacOS .
>
> I confess to not knowing that much about MacOS X, and MacOS X Server. But as
> they are going to be somewhat unix based, perhaps the efforts in this area
> would have good forward migration possibilities for the future.

To get Sane software for Macs would be great. But porting all the
backends
to MacOS versions 8.x (or older) might be quite a big task. Especially,
some
backends fork an additional process which reads the data from the
scanner and
delivers this data to the parent process. I don't know much about the
internals
of MacOS, but I guess that this kind of multitasking would be quite
difficult
to implement. Since MaxOS X is now available at least as the server
version,
and the workstation version will probably also be released in near
future, I
think that it would be not worth to put too much effort into porting the
backends to MaxOS 8.x.

On the other hand, having a frontend for the older MacOS versions, would
be
really useful (well, yes, only if the Mac is connected to a LAN where a
Sane
server is running, but that would probably be useful in many situations)

Abel