Re: Mustek 600 CP

Andreas Czechanowski (m075@ins.uni-stuttgart.de)
Fri, 16 Apr 1999 14:22:38 +0200 (METDST)

Hi Russell,

On Thu, 15 Apr 1999, Russell W. Behne wrote:

> My wife just brought home a Mustek 600 CP. Is there a way to get this
> scanner working? (It plugs into the parallel port and the printer plugs
> into it, which is good since I don't have any scsi.)

Not so good with SANE I think...

> The man page says:
> A parallel port scanner can be configured by listing the
> port number of the adapter in the mustek.conf file. Valid
> port numbers are 0x26b, 0x2ab, 0x2eb, 0x22b, 0x32b, 0x36b,
> 0x3ab, 0x3eb. Pick one that doesn't conflict with the
> other hardware in your computer.

The addresses above are only and only valid for the Mutek 600 II N.
Other parallel (printer-)port scanners need the address of the parallel
port (0x3bc, 0x378 or 0x278).

But AFAIK, printer-port models from Mustek are currently not supported.

In Linux 2.2.x, there should be a way of accessing the printer port
through a device because the low-level-hardware and the
interface-protocol parts are separate, but I don't know the state
of the development... ?

> Okay, how? Do I just put a port number anywhere in the file, or is there
> a required syntax, or does the order it's placed in the file have any
> importance?

I would recommend to put it at the beginning of the file on a line by
itself.

> By the way, just how do I figgure out the correct port number to use?

If you had a supported printer-port scanner, it is one of the
addresses above. Normally a single printer port on the motherboard
of a newer computer will have 0x378 as default.

Greetings,

Andreas.

--
Dipl.-Ing. Andreas Czechanowski                  Fon: +49-711-685-7335
andreas.czechanowski@ins.uni-stuttgart.de        Fax: +49-711-685-7311