Re: Linking non-libtool libraries into a new backend?

Graham Stoney (greyham@research.canon.com.au)
Fri, 9 Apr 1999 11:13:24 +1000 (EST)

Petter Reinholdtsen writes:
> [Graham Stoney]
> > Now I know libtool is supposed to make life easier, but is there any
> > way I can convince it to link my existing libraries in to the new
> > backend?
>
> The problem is not really non-libtool libraries. The problem is
> non-dll libraries, which libtool tries to handle for you. The objects
> included in a shared library _must_ be compiled as position
> independent code (PIC). If you don't have this, you can not link it
> with a shared library.

OK, understood. I've rebuilt the libraries adding -fPIC to the compiler command
line, but libtool still refuses to link the ".a" files in. Any other ideas?

Thanks,
Graham