Re: 16 bit per sample support

Oliver Rauch (oliver.rauch@Wolfsburg.DE)
Tue, 06 Apr 1999 17:53:33 +0200

Ewald R. de Wit wrote:

> IMHO the
> backend should just give you the data as the scanner sends it out and
> it's the responsibility of the frontend to make sense of it.

If the image depth is greater than 8 bits per sample most of the scanners
(e.g all UMAX, as far as I know microtek too) do send the data padded to
the most significant bits.

If some scanners do not, it is just a shifting of the data for the backend -
this
should be no problem.

The only problem I see is that the frontend does not now the real bit depth,
because
the backend says 16 bits in all this cases!

> Putting it in all the backends would mean more (duplicate) work.

No, no duplicate work, because the backend or the frontend has to do this.

Bye
Oliver

--
EMAIL: Oliver.Rauch@Wolfsburg.DE